Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Simpson Price Catalog & the G:\ drive

For everyone's use, I have added the "Simpson Price Catalog P-2011" to G:\LIBRARY\Simpson Strong Tie.  This leads my post in two directions.

Foremost, I would like to know whether or not I am specifying the least expensive installed connector that meets the demand.  How do you go through the anchor/connector selection process?

Second, the G:\ library is a bit discombobulated as far as order goes (or it might just be me--the new guy--who needs some direction).  Is G:\LIBRARY\Simpson Strong Tie the proper place to put the price catalog?  Rob mentioned revamping it a few months ago.  I second that motion.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I generally specify based on a mix of what is best suited for the connection and what I've heard from contractors about ease of installation (which generally translates to both "less chances to make mistakes" and "lower installed price").

bmccann said...

I tend to lean on the hardware marked "value engineered" for development of the hold down schedule. Specification of beam hangers and fasteners, can be quite a bit exhaustive, but if you use Forte 4.0 do design your beams the hangers are specified for you in the software. I do not always use the hanger that is specified of course. I have a fall back in the structural notes (section 6400) that specifies the high capacity type of hangers in general. For jobs with little engineering budget, I have a note on the plan that references this note section for all the hangers. This will be enough for the permit, and I allow substitution requests during CA.